Before the digital age, designers cut and pasted images of products and materials they loved from pages of magazines to make creative collages. These days, many of us bookmark links to websites or pin images to sites like Pinterest. But now The Morpholio Project has created an app for that: Board 2.0 is a tool that allows designers to transform their archives of images into cohesive visions for projects. This new platform allows designers to peruse a cloud-based library of more than 1,000 products, compile them into one space, sketch over them and make notes, and then ultimately share with others, including their social networks.
Morpholio spent a year working with research groups of designers to develop the app, and they collaborated with manufacturers to compile the gallery, which features products from well-known companies such as Artek, Bernhardt Design, Coalesse, DalTile, Designtex, Dyson, FilzFelt, 3form, Herman Miller, Interface, Knoll, nanimarquina, Porcelanosa, and Tandus, as well as up-and-coming designers and companies, including Room, Bensen, Volk Workstead, Graypants, and Aimee Wilder.
It’s not just designers who benefit from Board 2.0; participating manufacturers receive data on how designers use and respond to their products. “When Google gave clients statistics on their ads, it was a coop that rocked the advertising world,” says Toru Hasegawa, a co-creator of The Morpholio Project. “Board is doing the same for interior design product companies, hoping to bridge the demands of designers with the providers. The feedback is invaluable to both.”
Key features of Board 2.0 include:
- Gallery: A runway of furniture, fixtures, accessories, and materials that is curated by design experts and includes links to official sites for reference.
- Tag it: Clip a color swatch or product from the web and compile a list of objects to your inbox.
- Conference Table: Allows you to keep objects in the margins for fast access.
- The Portal: An amplified web clipper that allows you to pull imagery from the web, directly from Pinterest, or from your own libraries.
- Entourage: An extensive library of people, symbols, backgrounds of any color, or textures such as cork or graph paper, and text options to add graphic polish to layouts.
- Illustrate: Draw over any image, sketch on it, mark it up, or write on it.
- Broadcast: Share mood boards to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or through email.
All images and gifs courtesy of Morpholio.